31 January 2008

TV Shows - Oprah today 31 Jan 08

I generally do not watch TV talk shows. Comedies, news, history, science, and travel channels, yes - but I usually click right past talk shows. Turned on the tube today to tune into the news and Oprah was on. First words I heard before I hit the clicker was "transplant", so I froze.

Today, the parents of a young man killed in a tragic accident were sharing their story on Oprah's show. Follow this link to Oprah's website starting with slide 8 and watch through slide 14. These slides are telling you about the journey Jason Ray's parents have taken since they honored Jason's wishes and donated his organs and how hard the decision was for them to make even knowing Jason's wishes. In their case, they wanted to meet the recipients, 3 of whom were also on the show. This segment ends with Dr. Oz coming out to talk to Oprah about transplantation in general. I never, ever, in my wildest dreams imagined that a segment of a syndicated, daytime talkshow could make me cry, but this one did.

This story was well presented on the show and there are links to additional information on Oprah's website. I don't know if seeing the pictures and reading the dialog will have the same effect as seeing the actual film, but it would take a very hard person not to be affected by these people. I honestly don't think I would have the courage this young man's parents have shown in presenting their story to the world or the courage it took for the recipients to appear; but I do know that it was a show worth seeing.

Part of the reason for me writing this blog is so I never lose the link to this show. I hope that anyone that reads this is touched by it as powerfully as I was.

No comments: