27 January 2008

American Sign Language

Our youngest grandchild is deaf. In her 5 years, she has endured quite a lot including two surgeries to have cochlear implants. She is also learning American Sign Language at her school, so, wanting to communicate with my granddaughter more effectively, I began searching for classes available in our area. Most of the ones I have found have been full with long waiting lists, however, I ran across this wonderful website, American Sign Language Resource Site. This site is a great resource to help you learn yourself, practice tests, great visuals, lots of information, etc., etc.

The author, Dr. Bill Vicars, has given his permission to link to his site for reference (in fact, I got the linkback code from the website).

I plan to get on one of the waiting lists for an instructor led class; but intend to make full use of the referenced site in the meantime. Dr. Vicars has obviously spent a lot of time to provide this resource to everyone, so I wanted to help spread the word about its availability.

2 comments:

Sumus quid sumus said...

I heard this story on NPR this morning and thought of this blog entry. You can read it here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17818400 or listen to it (same link)

Anonymous said...

I heard this on NPR this morning and thought of your blog entry. You can read about it or listen to it (much better) here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17818400